Not long ago I got good tips on small group discipleship from the book Miraculous Movements by Trousdale. I love their suggestions on doing small group (house church) discipleship as a Bible study. Below is a simplified version of their suggestions that get to the core of the method.
When you go through a passage (the best thing) or a topic (second best) ask three questions.
- What is God saying to us right now in light of what we have just seen in God’s Book?
- What are we going to do about it? (You may need to ask “How?” to get to a practical (executable) application.)
- With whom do we need to share these things?
If these questions do not seem to fit, then change how you are sharing this scripture. You may be just transferring technical facts. We need to approach God’s Book with a “life change,” or “character change” perspective.
When you meet next time start by asking
- What did we see in God’s Book last time?
- How did it go with doing the things we said we would do based on what we saw in God book? (answers to questions 2 and 3 asked last week)
- Now let us learn new lessons from God’s Book.
Easy method. Profound results in people’s’ lives. (The method is close to the one given in the Miraculous Movements book. The book calls it Discover Bible Study.) What do you think?